Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Singular Plural

Two of my favorite people
Typically when Carrie leaves for a conference, or other multi-day excursion, I say, "Take good care of you; you're my favorite person."

On Tuesday, Carrie left for a conference in Georgia and I found myself saying, "Take good care of you; you're my favorite people."

Pregnancy is an amazing trick. It's made Carrie plural.

On the phone last night from her hotel, she told me that she often imagines that if she wants and likes something, the bun (our other name for the "tiny monkey") does too. She craved and enjoyed nachos for dinner; surely the bun did as well?

Since the two are sharing oxygen and nutrients through their bloodstreams, distinctions are in fact difficult. Does this mean the bun loves me already? Carrie insists he or she* does. 

"I've started to wonder if it's going to be traumatic for the bun to come out. I go back to being singular," Carrie said last night. "And then I won't know what the bun wants."



*For the record, we're not finding out the sex of the tiny monkey beforehand. I suspect this will be the subject of a future post.

2 comments:

  1. Your wife is so adorable----I an only imagine the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATE: Carrie came home yesterday, and we had a small dispute this morning. Her trump card? "We outnumber you." Oy.

    ReplyDelete